TRUE OR FALSE: PCB traces should be as wide as possible to minimize resistance

Free I’M BOARD t-shirt* for whoever gets it right!

*Shipping to U.S. only.

True.
Wider copper trace will have more surface area for electrons to flow as compared to narrow one.

Example:
10 Mil wider trace will have less resistance compared to 5 Mil wider trace

1 Like

TRUE. PCB trace can be seen as a resistor and the longer and narrower the PCB trace is, the more resistance is added. If the trace isn’t large enough or incorrectly sized, higher currents could damage the trace and/or introduce significant voltage drop. A reason to have a larger trace is for Current carrying capacity which is the cross-sectional area of a trace and allowable temperature rise which determine how much current a trace can carry. The cross-section of the trace is also directly proportional to copper thickness and the trace width. In other words, if we increase trace widths, we allow more current to flow and reduce resistance i.e. The wider the trace, the less resistance it has to the current, and the less heat it accumulates.

1 Like

FALSE.
PCB traces should only be as wide as necessary to comply with the project’s requirements.

1 Like

Resistance is not everything. Capacitance and Impedance are very important elements to be considered as well.
To answer the question, it depends on how “possible” is defined.
If this is defined from the mechanical perspective, then FALSE.
From the mechanical perspective, I would imagine the trace to be as wide as board space allows. Then, I would imagine a WIDE trace becoming more like a copper pour as it gets up to a certain width.
This might provide a low-impedance path for unwanted signals and could cause unwanted noise on the trace. Extra copper on more than one layer also causes extra parasitic capacitance.
Besides, having a super wide trace connected to an SMD pad can increase the heat capacity and affect the SMD solder result; this would be more obvious if you have traces with very different heat capacities on the same PCB.
Just make the PCB trace as wide as you need.

1 Like