Ask Me Anything with Paul Cooke

Ask your questions on PCB laminates and prepregs and speaker Paul Cooke will answer them!

Hi Paul, I am working on a hybrid stack-up (with two or more types of materials). What’s the best combination of prepregs that I need to incorporate in the stack-up? How should the layers be arranged? Where should the 106 and 1080 plies be placed?

For IoT devices requiring wireless connectivity, how does the choice of laminates and prepregs impact the performance of antennas and RF modules?

In high frequency designs, how donyou approach impedance matching and what role do laminates and prepregs play in achieving this?

Considering the higher data rates in 5G, how do you design PCBs to effectively manage heat, and what role do laminates and prepregs play in thermal dissipation?

What are the ideal Dk, Df, and Tg for class 3 PCBs?

For applications like automotive or aerospace, what laminate characteristics are crtitical, and how do they differ from standard applications?

Hi Paul, How do the operating frequency and signal loss of a PCB design affect the choice of HDI material?

Hi Paul, I have been working on 1080,1086, and 1078 prepregs and observed that both construction styles offer similar prepreg thicknesses and resin content. The same happens when I have to choose between 1067 and 106. How do I choose the best? What are your recommendations?

Whenever delamination occurs post-assembly, how do you trace down defects to PCB laminates and prepregs?

What are the criteria for selecting a material for RF applications in the aerospace industry? Can you name a few PCB materials that are suitable for these applications?

In IoT applications, especially wearables, how do you leverage flexible PCB designs, and what considerations guide your choice of flexible laminates and prepregs?

How do you determine the optimal layer stack-up?

What kind of glass construction styles (106/1080/1078/1067) are preferred for HDI PCBs, and why?

Mark, I need more information to as there is more to this question.

We would be better setting up a seperate zoom to discuss or call my cell tomorrow 289-991-1730

Paul

Sandra

There is much more info needed to answer this question properly

We would be better setting up a separate zoom to discuss or call my cell tomorrow 289-991-1730

Paul

John

We would be better setting up a separate zoom to discuss or call my cell tomorrow 289-991-1730

Paul

Alexis

you have a range of thermally conductive materials available as well as using the design to manage heat. I have worked with many engineers on moving heat away from hot spots as there are a range of design options available. I would need to know more about the design, material selection, frequency, required heat dissipation requirements etc

I would need to know what the application is, flight, space and the environment the product goes into. I would also need to know more about the stack, layer count, SI requirements, thermal requirements, copper weights etc

Once I know the answers to this we can then start to discuss which materials would best suit the application

Paul
289-991-1730

I would need to know what the application is, flight, space and the environment the product goes into. I would also need to know more about the stack, layer count, SI requirements, thermal requirements, copper weights etc. As there are different areas product could go into an aircraft for instance the in cabin requirements and choice of materials is much different than an engine controller etc. Same for automotive, in cab or under the hood use much different materials due to the expose of the product.

Once I know the answers to this we can then start to discuss which materials would best suit the application